Friday, December 10, 2010

Zahrah the Windseeker: Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu

Book: Zahrah the Windseeker
Pages: 308
Date published: 2007

Author:  Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu
Publisher: Farafina, Lagos

Not a conventional review :)


By the time I got to Chapter 4, the Dark Market, the book was no where to be found. Chapter 4 was right after Zhrah discovered she could float in the air. The first thing that came to my mind was oh the Windseeker has come float my book away! I searched everywhere for it, and almost gave up. But apparently, a colleague who borrowed it earlier forgot it at the Bank, so she had to go back and do her own share of search-party.

The what ifs, coulda, shoulda, woulda flashed through my mind. I am kinda attached to my books, pens and umbrellas. Although the book cost about N1,000, I knew buying another copy won’t be the same as the first- it was a special gift! During those few minutes of searching and searching, I imagined my book already somewhere else in someone’s house. Afterall, (quote). But right at the point of almost giving up, tada! We found the book, all safe and sound. So like every reader, I got an opportunity to find out why Zharah floated and of course to complete the story!

But Zharah the Windseeker is not just about a story of a girl who floats in the air. The book, a children’s fiction, teaches about self-esteem- Zharah was tormented by peers for looking different but then, as the story unfolded, we saw her rise to accepting her uniqueness.

It also portrays the rebellion in every teenager. Zharah and Dari expressed theirs by exploring the dark market and everywhere out of bound. It teaches about loyalty of friendship as seen in Dari to Zharah.

The first Bookasaurus star! on this blog goes to the author, Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu, for allowing her imagination roar all through the pages of Zharah the Windseeker. You have to get your copy to find out what I am talking about! While at it, get extra copies for your younger siblings or kids. It will make a good Christmas/New Year gift for young readers.

Season’s Greetings!

No comments: